SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) –- A mandatory evacuation order has been issued for residents who live in the Zone A, barrier islands and mobile homes in Sarasota County.
The voluntary evacuation includes those who live in low-lying areas, the barrier islands (Longboat, Lido, Siesta, Casey and Manasota keys and the Island of Venice), and in mobile homes.
The voluntary evacuation allows individuals who want to leave their homes to get on the road before a mandatory evacuation is called.
Brookside Middle School, 3636 S. Shade Ave., Sarasota, is now open as a host shelter for residents and evacuees from south Florida.
The following shelters are open in Sarasota County:
- Atwater Elementary School, 4701 Huntsville Avenue, North Port
- Heron Creek Middle School, 6501 W. Price Boulevard, Sarasota *Pet-friendly
- Phillippi Shores Elementary, 4747 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
- Woodland Middle School, 2700 Panacea Blvd., North Port *Pet-friendly
- Gulf Gate Elementary, 6500 S. Lockwood Ridge Road, Sarasota *Pet-friendly
The following shelters are at capacity:
- Brookside Middle School, 3636 South Shade Avenue, Sarasota *Pet-friendly
- Booker High Schook, 3201 N. Orange Avenue, Sarasota
- Riverview High School, 1 Ram Way, Sarasota
- Southside Elementary, 1901 Webber Street, Sarasota
- North Port High School, 6400 West Price Boulevard, North Port
Sarasota County is requesting citizens with special needs who require shelter accommodation to fill out the People with Special Needs (PSN) application
You can find the application here. The application needs to be returned before 2 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 8 to allow county workers to make accommodations.
You may also call 941-861-5000 to register by phone.
HURRICANE IRMA COVERAGE –
- The latest on Hurricane Irma from Storm Team 8
- 2017 Hurricane Guide
- Emergency shelters opening across Tampa Bay area ahead of Hurricane Irma
- Pinellas Co. evacuation info
- Pasco Co. evacuation info
- Hurricane Irma causing flight cancellations, airport closures in Tampa Bay area, Florida
- CHECKLIST: Disaster supply list for hurricane
- Where to get sandbags in the Tampa Bay area
- How to get water even if the stores are out
- The one thing you must do for your pet as Irma approaches