TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Pinellas, Hillsborough, Sarasota, Manatee, Pasco and Polk County school districts announced on Wednesday that schools will be closed on Friday due to Hurricane Irma.
Other school districts could also make announcements Wednesday about possible closures.
Below is information about how school districts in the Tampa Bay area are preparing in anticipation of the storm.
- Pinellas County Schools announced on Wednesday that schools will be closed on Thursday and Friday. All school related activities are also cancelled. Updates will come through http://www.pcsb.org/weather.
- Shorecrest Preparatory School in St. Petersburg will be closed on Friday, September 8. All after-school activities are cancelled for Thursday, September 7. After-care on Thursday, September 7 will be open until 6 pm.
- All elementary and middle school child care programs at the St. Petersburg Parks and Recreation centers are cancelled for this Thursday and Friday, September 7 & 8, 2017
- The Canterbury School of Florida will be closed on Friday. After-school activities will conclude at 5 p.m. Thursday. After-care on both campuses will operate normal hours on Thursday.
- Westlake Christian School and The Robin’s Nest Preschool will be closed Friday and Saturday. All Westlake Christian activities are cancelled for Thursday and Friday as well.
- Public schools and district offices in Polk County will be closed on Monday, Sept. 11.
- Hillsborough County schools will be closed on Thursday and Friday due to Hurricane Irma. The school district is encouraging families to continue making plans that are best for their safety. Updates will come through the district’s social media, and notification system.
- Tampa Preparatory School will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- Berkeley Preparatory School will be closed Thursday, Friday, and Monday. All athletic events and other on- and off-campus activities scheduled for those dates are canceled, as well.
- Polk County Schools will be closed on Friday due to Hurricane Irma. Sporting events are also being rescheduled. Junior varsity football games have been moved from Thursday to Wednesday. Varsity football games have been moved from Friday to Thursday. All games will be held at the original venue.
- All Pasco County schools will be closed on Friday due to the opening of shelters on Friday morning. Extra-curricular activities scheduled for Friday and this weekend are also cancelled.
- Manatee County Schools will close on Friday because of Hurricane Irma. Schools that serve as shelters will begin preparations to open after schools close on Thursday.
- Sarasota County schools will be closed on Friday. All 24 schools in the district will be used as shelters. The school district will hold a live Q & A session on Facebook Wednesday night.
- All Children First sites will be closing at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday and remain closed u
- All Hernando Schools will be closed both Thursday and Friday. In addition, all after-school activities will be cancelled for Thursday and Friday. For updates head to http://www.hernandoschools.org, social media or the HCSD Mobile App.
- Citrus County School District announces schools will be closed on Friday, Sept 7 & Monday, Sept 11 due to Hurricane Irma.
Hardee and Desoto county schools are closed Friday.
Colleges and Universities:
- The University of Tampa will be closed Thursday, Friday and Monday. UT will post updates here: http://www.ut.edu/weather/
- The University of South Florida campus will be closed Thursday through Sunday.
- USF St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee campuses will be closed Thursday through Monday.
- Due to the potential risks of Hurricane Irma, all home athletic events this weekend are cancelled at the University of South Florida
- All campuses at State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota (SCF) will be closed Thursday, Sept. 7 through Monday, Sept. 11. All activities including sports, music and theatre productions are cancelled due to the uncertain trajectory of Hurricane Irma
- State College of Florida Collegiate School (SCFCS) will close Thursday, September 7 through Monday, September 11
- Due to inclement weather conditions and potential flooding concerns that may result from Hurricane Irma, all Pasco-Hernando State College campuses will be closed on Thursday, September 7 and Friday, September 8
- Rasmusseen College campuses in Pasco and Hillsborough counties will be closed Friday and Saturday.
- St. Petersburg College campuses and offices will be closed and classes will be cancelled Thursday through Sunday.
- Stetson University College of Law in both Gulfport and Tampa will be closed Thursday through Sunday. The campuses will close at noon on Thursday.
- Hillsborough Community College will close Thursday through Sunday.
- Florida Tech has canceled all home athletic events taking place this weekend. Classes have been canceled for Friday, Sept. 8, through Monday, Sept. 11.
- The Art Institute of Tampa will be closed Friday Sept 8 till Sunday Sept.10.
- Keiser University campuses including the Online Division and Graduate School, will be closed for students, faculty, and staff through Monday, Sept. 11.
- Florida Polytechnic University will be closed Thursday at 5 p.m. through Tuesday morning “at the earliest.”
- Polk State College closed Friday through Monday.
HURRICANE IRMA COVERAGE –
- The latest on Hurricane Irma from Storm Team 8
- 2017 Hurricane Guide
- Where to get sandbags in the Tampa Bay area
- Gov. Scott declares state of emergency in all Fla. counties in response to Hurricane Irma
- Gov. Scott encouraging Floridians to be prepared for hurricane
- AG Bondi activates Florida’s price gouging hotline in wake of declared state of emergency
- Bottled water, supplies going fast as Tampa Bay area prepares for possibility of Hurricane Irma
- Tampa Bay area residents need to get hurricane plans in place while skies still blue