WEEKI WACHEE, Fla. (WFLA) – A family was displaced on Friday after a lightning strike caused a fire in their home.
Hernando County Fire Rescue was called to the home on Potomac Avenue in Weeki Wachee at 2:04 p.m. Initial reports indicated the fire was in the garage and kitchen.
Fire crews found the garage fully involved in fire when they arrived.
All residents of the home were accounted for, but the family dog was still missing.
The fire was brought under control, but the garage and kitchen sustained heavy fire damage.
The dog sustained burn injuries from the fire.
The dog was taken to a local veterinarian for treatment and its condition is unknown.
The were no injuries reported to civilians or first responders.
Based on reports from the residents and the fire crews’ investigation, it appears the home was struck by lightning, which caused the fire.
Two adults and a child were displaced by the damage. The American Red Cross will provide the family with assistance.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Deputies: Woman gave newborn to stranger at Sarasota Co. park
- Speeding SUV crashes into Riverview home
- Target 8: VA therapist tells Marine treated for PTSD he’s only there for the drugs
- Tampa woman advertising need for kidney claims HOA wants signs taken down
- Better Call Behnken: Birthday cake disaster leaves St. Pete mother furious
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys among 6 suspended, reprimanded, or disciplined by Florida Supreme Court
- Nurse arrested for not giving police patient’s blood shares video of confrontation
- PHOTO: ‘Miracle baby’ with umbilical cord still attached found inside gym bag
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.