NAPLES, Fla. (WFLA) -A mother-of-two in Naples is accused of luring a teenager to his death because she suspected him of raping her daughter.
Connie Serbu lured 18-year-old Xavier Sierra into a wooded area in Naples last July by telling him she needed his help building a bunk bed. But detectives said the mother of two had other plans—a plot to avenge her daughter’s alleged rape.
Court records show months earlier, Serbu’s daughter told her she had been sexually assaulted by Sierra twice, several years before the crime occurred when she was just six years old. After Serbu learned of the alleged assault, she told friends and other witnesses she wanted to kill Sierra.
Collier County detectives said she told her husband “she was going to do something,” and he would have to raise their kids alone. Her daughter begged her not to hurt him, and a friend tried to persuade her to contact police instead. But Serbu ignored their pleas and a murderous plan was hatched.
With her brother, 29-year-old John Vargas in tow, Serbu went to pick up the victim, who had just finished a job interview at a spay-and-neuter-clinic. During the ride, Vargas, who is intellectually disabled confronted Sierra and when they got to the woods, the victim tried to flee, but Serbu and her brother chased him down. Vargas and Sierra were both fatally shot when they wrestled over a gun, according to detectives. Court documents show Sierra was shot six times and Vargas was hit in the abdomen.
Police were called to the scene and took Serbu in for questioning. According to a complaint, she told detectives “it’s all my fault.”
“So I don’t care, he raped my daughter … she told me everything that happened,” Serbu said.
Her hands tested positive for gunshot residue linked to a weapon at the scene.
Serbu was jailed in February on suspicion of custodial interference for allegedly leaving Florida last October when she was being investigated as a witness to the crime. On August 25, she was served an arrested warrant with a second-degree murder charge.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Deputies: Woman gave newborn to stranger at Sarasota Co. park
- Speeding SUV crashes into Riverview home
- Target 8: VA therapist tells Marine treated for PTSD he’s only there for the drugs
- Tampa woman advertising need for kidney claims HOA wants signs taken down
- Better Call Behnken: Birthday cake disaster leaves St. Pete mother furious
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys among 6 suspended, reprimanded, or disciplined by Florida Supreme Court
- Nurse arrested for not giving police patient’s blood shares video of confrontation
- PHOTO: ‘Miracle baby’ with umbilical cord still attached found inside gym bag