ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) — Two people are being evaluated at a local hospital after their plane crashed into the water Friday morning while trying to land at Albert Whitted Airport in St. Petersburg.
A St. Petersburg Fire Rescue spokesperson said the crash happened at 10:42 a.m.
The pilot overshot the runway and skidded off the runway into the water while trying to land the plane.
Two people were on the plane.
U.S. Coast Guard crews rescued the plane’s occupants. They were transported to a nearby boat ramp where they were evaluated. They were then transported to a local hospital for further examination.
Albert Whitted Airport is located at 107 8th Ave. S.E. in St. Petersburg.
The crash is under investigation.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Speeding SUV crashes into Riverview home
- Target 8: VA therapist tells Marine treated for PTSD he’s only there for the drugs
- Tampa woman advertising need for kidney claims HOA wants signs taken down
- Better Call Behnken: Birthday cake disaster leaves St. Pete mother furious
- 4 Tampa Bay area attorneys among 6 suspended, reprimanded, or disciplined by Florida Supreme Court
- Nurse arrested for not giving police patient’s blood shares video of confrontation
- PHOTO: ‘Miracle baby’ with umbilical cord still attached found inside gym bag