MELBOURNE, Fla. (WESH) — A man driving with his child passed out in the middle of a Melbourne Street while under the influence, police said.
Kathy Hatch at Hatch’s Economy Muffler Shop said she saw Travis Taffer’s stopped car in the middle of Hibiscus Boulevard, near the intersection of U.S. 1.
“He could’ve rolled out in the middle of that intersection. This intersection has accidents all the time,” Hatch said.
Police said Taffer was in the middle of traffic with his engine running, the car in gear but his foot on the brake. Taffer allegedly had his right hand on the wheel while his left hand was wrapped around a Mike’s Harder Black Cherry Lemonade.
In the back seat, police said officers noticed a 16-month-old child.
An officer put the car in park, turned off the ignition and woke up Taffer, who allegedly told him he was on his way pick up a second child at school, but passed out at a stoplight.
The children’s mother took them home.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Man accused of murdering aunt in Davenport captured; unharmed child, 4, found covered in blood
- Shivering tot found clinging to drowned mom in Texas floods
- University of Tampa faculty member ‘relieved of duties’ after comments about Hurricane Harvey
- Residents of flooded Texas nursing home ‘doing great’
- Boy calls 911 from backseat to report mom driving drunk
- WFLA News Channel 8 raises over $66,000 for Harvey victims during ‘Telethon for Texas’
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.