ST. LOUIS (AP) – Tommy Pham hit a two-run homer in the ninth inning, and the St. Louis Cardinals rallied for a 6-4 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday.
It was Pham’s first career walk-off homer and the fourth this season for the Cardinals.
Matt Carpenter beat out an infield single before Pham hit a 2-2 pitch off Brad Boxberger (3-4) for his 17th homer of the season.
The Cardinals tied it at 4 in the eighth with two runs off Tampa Bay’s bullpen. Yadier Molina’s two-out, run-scoring single in the eighth off Tommy Hunter scored Pham, and singles by Jeff Gyorko and Stephen Piscotty loaded the bases. Boxberger relieved Hunter and gave up an RBI single to Kolten Wong.
Tyler Lyons (2-0) pitched the ninth to earn the win.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- At least 1 dead as Harvey slams Texas Gulf Coast
- Deputies search for homicide suspect after driver finds body in Pasco County road
- Pinellas Co. School Resource Deputy fired for improper conduct with child with autism
- Florida doctor sentenced for sexually assaulting teen during exam
- NRA’s video message to ‘elites’: ‘We’re coming for you’
- Tampa man accused of breaking 4-week-old girl’s legs
- Moms across Sarasota report creepy trend of strange shoppers showing interest in children
- 8 fun things to do this weekend in Tampa Bay | August 25-27