DENVER (KUSA) – Denver police are looking into videos that show cheerleaders being forced to do the splits.
WARNING: The videos may be difficult to watch. There are eight videos that show the recently hired cheer coach pushing the cheerleaders into an extended split position while their arms are held up by teammates
In at least one of the videos you can hear the East High School cheerleader cry out in pain.
“He was pushing like with his other knee on my back to try and keep my posture straight,” said freshman cheerleader Ally Wakefield. “It was tearing my ligaments and my muscle at the same time.”
The cheer coach, assistant cheer coach, high school principal, assistant principal and Denver Public Schools deputy general counsel have all been placed on leave.
In a statement superintendent Tom Boasberg said, “We absolutely prohibit any practices that place our students’ physical and mental health in jeopardy.”
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Veterinarian arrested for animal cruelty in Polk County
- Better Call Behnken: Kids could be out of luck if Hillsborough charter school doesn’t open by Friday
- St. Pete Beach approves booze sales on beach, with restrictions
- Hero dog takes rattlesnake bite to protect owner in North Port
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Cavern shuts down part of Fletcher Avenue
- Girl, 3, hit by truck in Riverview dies from injuries
- 9 members of Lakeland police K9 team suspended for speeding up to 101 mph