ORLANDO, Fla. (WESH) — Thousands are attending the funerals for two police officers who were fatally shot in Kissimmee held in Orlando on Thursday.
Services for Officer Matthew Baxter and Sgt. Sam Howard are being held at the First Baptist Church in Orlando at 11 a.m.
Baxter, 27, was married to a Kissimmee Police Department detective. The couple had four children together, all under the age of five. The youngest of Baxter’s children is only 7 months old.
Howard, 36, was married and had a 17-year-old daughter.
His wife is a teacher at Central Avenue Elementary School, which is in the same neighborhood where the officers were shot.
A bank account through SunTrust has been set up through the City of Kissimmee for those who would like to donate to the fallen officers’ families.
You can also donate online at www.kissimmee.org/donate.
The officers were shot Friday night in a neighborhood known for drug activity. Police say Everett Miller fired on the two officers after he got into a scuffle with one of them. He was later arrested at a bar.
Miller faces a charge of first-degree murder in the killing of Baxter. Authorities have not said what charges he could face for Howard’s death.
He was denied bond during a hearing on Sunday.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Winning $758M Powerball ticket sold in MA, Three $1M winners in Florida
- 2 suspects on the run in Tampa after armed home invasion, crash
- Veterinarian arrested for animal cruelty in Polk County
- Man killed when tractor overturned in Palm Harbor identified
- Hero dog takes rattlesnake bite to protect owner in North Port
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Cavern shuts down part of Fletcher Avenue
- Girl, 3, hit by truck in Riverview dies from injuries
- 9 members of Lakeland police K9 team suspended for speeding up to 101 mph