TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Video from a Denver, Colorado cheerleading camp shows a teen girl screaming in pain as her coach and teammates force her into a split position.
Since the video was released, the coach and several East High School administrators have been placed on leave.
“Personally, that wouldn’t be my choice of technique to get somebody into a split. Flexibility is something that is a gradual thing,” said Kaley Gay Eckersdorff of The Keep, a yoga and circus arts studio in Ybor City.
She watched the video and thinks it’s wrong.
“I would just say that I wouldn’t do them that aggressively,” she said, referring to the splits.
Gay Eckersdorff tells us instructors at The Keep listen closely to their clients during activities and stop if there’s even the slightest pain involved.
They even have hand signals that can be used if people experience pain.
“It’s pretty difficult to watch,” said Dr. Jill Hechtman, of Tampa Obstetrics. “As a mom, I couldn’t imagine my daughter being put through something like that.”
Hechtman was shocked by the video and warns of potential issues like muscle and tendon strains and ligament pulls.
“They were forcing her into a position she couldn’t get,” Hechtman said. “And that’s where injury can occur.”
Other cheerleaders were also forced into splits, but those videos weren’t released.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Veterinarian arrested for animal cruelty in Polk County
- Better Call Behnken: Kids could be out of luck if Hillsborough charter school doesn’t open by Friday
- St. Pete Beach approves booze sales on beach, with restrictions
- Hero dog takes rattlesnake bite to protect owner in North Port
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Cavern shuts down part of Fletcher Avenue
- Girl, 3, hit by truck in Riverview dies from injuries
- 9 members of Lakeland police K9 team suspended for speeding up to 101 mph
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.