ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred visited the Rays at Tropicana Field on Wednesday.
Manfred said there is no doubt the Rays need a new facility.
“It is a topic of discussion in the industry, the lack of progress moving forward with a first class facility,” he said.
“I think it’s fair to say we’d like the process to take on a better pace moving forward, let me say it that way.”
Manfred told News Channel 8 he visits as many major league franchises as possible and arrived in St. Petersburg after a trip to Detroit.
We also learned Wednesday the Hillsborough sheriff’s office’s land in Ybor City is a potential landing site for a new stadium for the Rays.
The sheriff’s office confirmed a meeting took place, but the content of the meeting is still unknown.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Bill proposes banning use of food stamps to buy soda in Florida
- St. Pete Beach approves booze sales on beach, with restrictions
- Missouri woman charged with killing daughter with autism
- Python pulled from underneath Seminole County home
- What are the most likely numbers to win the Powerball?
- New smartphone app ensures your child answers your texts immediately
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.