MIAMI, Fla. (WFLA) – A small boat carrying a group Cuban migrants was intercepted near Dania Beach pier Wednesday, the Coast Guard said.
Watchstanders learned of a “rustic” migrant vessel carrying 13 men was traveling approximately one mile off shore and launched a 33-foot Special Purpose Craft to go check it out.
The Coast Guard and U.S. Customs and Border Protection vessels arrived at the scene at 9:40 a.m. and “interdicted and safely embarked” the boat to a Coast Guard cutter.
“This quick action by U.S. Customs and Border Protection Air and Marine units stopping this vessel, and coordination by Coast Guard assets who were on scene immediately after helped facilitate the safe interdiction of this illegal migration attempt,” said Commander Jason Aleksak, Chief of Response for Coast Guard Sector Miami.
No further details were released.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Veterinarian arrested for animal cruelty in Polk County
- Bill proposes banning use of food stamps to buy soda in Florida
- St. Pete Beach approves booze sales on beach, with restrictions
- Missouri woman charged with killing daughter with autism
- Python pulled from underneath Seminole County home
- What are the most likely numbers to win the Powerball?
- New smartphone app ensures your child answers your texts immediately