HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A non-functional BB gun found in a student’s book bag prompted a lock down on Tuesday.
According to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, McClane Middle School received reports of a gun on campus.
The reports were received on social media and the school was placed on lock down.
HCSO school resource deputies and Hillsborough County school security officers quickly identified and searched two students and found the non-functional BB gun in a student’s book bag.
Officers conducted a secondary search of all eighth grade students in the cafeteria with metal detectors and no additional weapons were found.
Three juveniles were arrested for disruption of a school function and resist without violence, all misdemeanor charges.
Deputies are asking parents to remind their children that weapons and look-alive weapons are not allowed on school grounds, and even toy guns can get students in trouble.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Girl, 3, hit by truck in Riverview dies from injuries
- Citizens voice opinions about Bradenton Confederate monument at commission meeting
- Man arrested, accused of following 86-year-old Brandon woman home from Walmart
- Polk County deputies searching for man who stole Porsche from repair shop
- Hillsborough County tow truck driver’s killer learns his fate
- Police: Orlando mom left kids in hot car while she drank at bar
- Family of toddler found dead in Orlando day care van sues Little Miracles Academy
- Cute alert: Babies born on solar eclipse day dressed up at hospital
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.