SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A 15-year-old boy was airlifted to a local hospital after he was hit by a car on Wednesday morning.
Florida Highway Patrol investigators said the boy was riding a bicycle southbound on Old Venice Road around 7:15 a.m.
He crossed the southbound lane at Old Venice Road, made it to the center line of the road, and when he tried to cross the northbound lanes, he was hit by a 2014 Mercury that was driving northbound.
Investigators said the boy was not in a crosswalk when he crossed the road.
His injuries were classified as a trauma alert and he was airlifted by a Bayflite helicopter to All Children’s Hospital in Tampa.
The boy was not wearing a helmet. He is hospitalized in serious condition.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Freak recycling center accident kills elderly woman in Pinellas Park
- Ybor City waiter attacked, robbed after leaving work
- Stonewall Jackson plaque removed in St. Pete
- County-by-county school guides to Aug. 21 solar eclipse in Tampa Bay area
- Hot classrooms raising health concerns for Hillsborough County parents
- Deputies arrest woman in connection with toppling of North Carolina Confederate statue
- Tampa #2 best place to retire in Wallet Hub 2017 rankings
- Clear the Shelters: Dozens of pets looking for homes in Pasco County