SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – Two people in Sarasota are facing charges after carfentanil was delivered to a home over the weekend.
Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office detectives were contacted by the Department of Homeland Security about a package believed to contain fentanyl being shipped internationally to an address in Sarasota.
The package was intercepted and taken for forensic testing, where a clear bag containing a white, powdery substance tested positive for carfentanil.
The package was delivered to an address in the 4000 block of Proctor Road.
Michael Bennett, 39, and Trisha Steffes, 36, took the package inside while detectives watched.
A search warrant was served minutes later.
Bennett and Steffes admitted to knowing the package contained carfentanil.
More than seven grams of fentanyl were found in a false electrical outlet in the home, as well as other drugs and paraphernalia.
Bennett and Steffes are charged with delivery of carfentanil, possession for fentanyl with intent and possession of paraphernalia.
Both were released over the weekend on bond.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Deputies: Pasco high school senior threatened to kill former teacher
- Doctors call Florida airport worker hit by lightning a ‘miracle’
- Wrestling legend Ric Flair in hospital, rep asks for prayers
- WATCH: Hillsborough deputies want your help identifying jewelry store thief
- Who vandalized Confederate memorial in Seffner?
- 2 new schools open in Pasco today, school boundaries rezoned
- First day of school for Sarasota Co. superintendent
- Bail denied for suspect in Virginia rally death
- SUV carrying gas grill explodes in Orlando when passenger lights cigarette
- Family’s dog shot, killed by HCSO deputy
- Willie Nelson cuts show short, cites Utah’s high altitude
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.