SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Students in Sarasota are heading back to the classroom on Monday. As the 2017-2018 school year kicks off it is not only the first day of school for students. It is also the first, first day of school for the superintendent
“I started back in March, so I’ve got my feet wet a little bit, but it is my first, first day of school. So I will be like those kindergarten kids, I will be a little nervous,” Todd Bowden, Sarasota Superintendent.
Sarasota County Public Schools is one of only two districts in the state to have an “A” rating every year the Department of Education has been keeping track.
8 on Your Side was about to obtain the break down for the district.
In Sarasota, 42 schools maintained an A or B rating.
Alta Vista Elementary School, a Title 1 school, rose from a C to an A as did Sky Academy, a charter school.
Sarasota County had seven C-rated schools, one D-rated school and no F-rated schools.
Ten Sarasota schools increased their rating from a B to an A school or a C to a B.
Two Sarasota schools decreased from an A to a B rating, two decreased from a B to a C and one decreased from a C to a D.
Also, this year Sarasota County has five new principals. Superintendent Bowden says this will help the district grow even more.
“It is always great to get outside eyes, even in a high-performing school, you can fall into certain routines. You sort of know what works, but sometimes you don’t examine all of your practices. I’ve never seen an organization that you can’t fine tune, so hopefully with a new set of eyes they will see new opportunities to serve kids,” said Bowden.
Also now for parents, there will be an app that can help you track everything from your child’s lunch balance, schedule and their attendance.
Be sure to watch WFLA News Channel 8 from 4:30 to 7 a.m. during the month of August. Every morning, we’ll bring you a special back-to-school story to help you and your family prepare for the school year.
- Police remind drivers to be safe as school begins in Sarasota
- 2 new schools open in Pasco today, school boundaries rezoned
- First day of school for Sarasota Co. superintendent
- What parents can do to ease their child’s anxiety during middle school years
- How to tell if your kids are feeling anxious about the new school year
- The future of standardized testing for Tampa Bay area students
- Reaction mixed about uniform changes at Pete Davidsen Middle School
- Back to school: Here’s where to report cyber bullying
- Hillsborough parents asked to give input about proposed school bell schedule
- Plant High School teen on a mission to help raise awareness about suicide prevention
- See more Back-to-School stories in our special section on WFLA.com