SUV carrying gas grill explodes in Orlando when passenger lights cigarette


ORLANDO, Fla. (WESH) — A man and his wife were burned when a gas grill in their car exploded Sunday afternoon.

Orlando Police say the husband and wife were driving with a propane grill burning and its gas supply on.

As the couple approached the entrance to the Central Florida Fairgrounds at West Colonial Drive and Pete Parrish Boulevard, the wife, who was the passenger, lit a cigarette, triggering an explosion and fire.

The westbound Kia Sorrento then crashed into a pole. Both people in the vehicle suffered burns and were taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center with injuries described as non-life threatening.

OPD said the vehicle had extensive damage. Names of the injured couple and other details were not released.


>> BACK TO TOP STORIES provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s