LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – Walmart says an internal investigation shows it was the victim of a prank when a photograph showed up on social media showing a sign reading “Own The School Year Like A Hero” atop a gun case in a store.
Company spokesman Charles Crowson told The Associated Press on Friday the company had definitely determined that the display was not genuine.
A photograph appeared on social media combining Walmart’s superhero-themed “back-to-school” promotion with a gun rack in a sporting goods section. The company initially replied on social media saying the sign was taken down. Then the company said it was checking on whether it had been there at all.
Posts suggested the photo was taken in Indiana. Crowson said it wasn’t from Indiana but wouldn’t provide a location.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Cops: DUI suspect tried to hide evidence in underwear after fiery crash that killed child, 2 adults
- Up to 160 Applebee’s, IHOP restaurants to close
- Fake Polk Co. sheriff’s letter to employer riddled with bad grammar, misspellings
- Largo family questions safety of treasure hunt, seeks answers
- Restaurant Ratings Most Violations: July 31 to August 5
- 5-year-old St. Pete boy critical after being abused for months, police say
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.