(WFLA) – A back-to-school display at a Walmart caused an uproar on social media and now the company is apologizing.
Twitter user @ItsZijZ posted a photo Wednesday of a gun display that appeared to be under a banner that read, “Own the school year like a hero.”
Photos of the display quickly spread across social media, with many people demanding an explanation from the giant retailer.
Walmart responded to the photo and condemned the display, calling it “truly awful” and horrible.
First Walmart said it had removed the sign, however, now there are reports that Walmart is still attempting to track down where the sign was located. It was originally said to be at a store in Evansville, Indiana, but the photographer said that’s not where it is and refuses to give the location.
“I don’t want to release that information because I don’t want to have to deal with the backlash of business is affected at that location, there are rumors that it was in Indiana, but those are false.”
It is unclear whether the sign was placed near the display by mistake or as a prank.
Walmart is largest seller of firearms in the United States.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Police make arrest in double homicide at Longboat Key resort
- Bradenton mom accused of killing daughter, putting body in freezer accepts plea deal
- Shark dragging video being investigated by Manatee County State Attorney’s Office
- Police: Abandoned infant survived 3 days in plastic bag
- VIDEO: Clearwater expert explains why ‘Pinky’ the dolphin may be pink