ELMIRA, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say an 8-month-old baby found alive in a plastic bag outside an upstate New York home had been abandoned there three days earlier by her 17-year-old mother.
Elmira police say neighbors checking out a noise Tuesday found a baby whose feet were sticking out of the bag. They called 911 and tended to the child until police and emergency crews arrived.
Officials say the baby is in stable condition at a hospital.
Later Tuesday, police charged Harriette Hoyt with attempted murder. Officials say she’s from Sayre, Pennsylvania, about 20 miles southeast of Elmira.
She’s being held in the Chemung County Jail. Her public defender wasn’t available for comment.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Uber driver saves man’s life after ride to Sunshine Skyway Bridge
- 5 dogs killed in Valrico house fire
- Plea deal today for Bradenton mom accused of killing daughter, putting body in freezer
- VIDEO: Clearwater expert explains why ‘Pinky’ the dolphin may be pink
- Man, 53, charged with kicking 6-year-old girl at Chuck e. Cheese’s
- Couple killed in crash 1 day after their wedding