AUSTIN, TX (KXAN) — As law enforcement agencies continue to come across credit card skimmers at gas station pumps, Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller released a short video with some new tips on how you can avoid becoming an identity theft victim.
One tip requires you to pull out your cell phone. According to the state agency, most of the credit card skimmers have Bluetooth technology. When you’re next to the pump, try connecting to Bluetooth and if you see “a long string of numbers trying to connect… then that’s probably not good,” says Miller.
The other tips include checking the sticker on the pump to see if it has been tampered with and well as jiggling the credit card slot.
WHAT’S TRENDING ONLINE NOW –
- VIDEO: Pink dolphin named ‘Pinky’ spotted playing in ship channel
- Severe turbulence on American Airlines flight sends 10 to hospital
- Heavy rains bringing snakes to Florida neighborhoods
- Freebie August: Shredding, Starbucks and bagels for your dog
- VIDEO: 3 rescued from malfunctioned bungee ride at county fair
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.