(WFLA/CNN) – Doctors in Australia had to surgically remove dental wire from a woman’s small intestine, 10 years after she swallowed it.
According to CNN, Doctors said the 30-year-old woman showed up at an emergency room complaining of cramping and severe abdominal pain.
She was treated and released.
Two days later, she returned to the emergency room, again complaining of extreme pain.
Doctors did a CT scan and discovered an object had punctured several places in the woman’s small intestine.
She had not worn orthodontic braces for 10 years, but after surgery, doctors found what had perforated her bowel.
A 7-centimeter piece of wire, presumably from her braces, is what was stuck.
The incident was reported in a study published Monday in the medical journal BMJ Case Reports.
WHAT’S TRENDING ONLINE NOW –
- Severe turbulence on American Airlines flight sends 10 to hospital
- Heavy rains bringing snakes to Florida neighborhoods
- Freebie August: Shredding, Starbucks and bagels for your dog
- VIDEO: 3 rescued from malfunctioned bungee ride at county fair
- Gator tries to get inside Lakewood Ranch home
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.