BARTOW, Fla. (WFLA) — Two 15-year-olds are facing charges after police say they spray painted graffiti at Bartow Senior High School over the weekend.
Police were called to the school around 6:30 Sunday night for a burglary and criminal mischief in progress, and found several graffiti messages spray painted on walls and lockers outside the building.
An officer found the two suspects nearby at Nye Jordan Park, sitting at a pavilion that had also been spray painted. The officer found a can of spray paint in a trash can near them.
Both of the teens admitted they went onto school grounds and spray painted the graffiti.
One told the officer they, “thought it would be fun.” The other said they were, “just being dumb.” Both said they didn’t think they could get in trouble for it.
The 15-year-olds were both charged with burglary to a structure and two counts of criminal mischief.
Staff at the school estimate the damage to be around $2,000.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Grief counselors to help Polk Co. students cope with loss of classmate, 6, found in pond
- 3 ‘prolific offenders’ dead after crash involving stolen car in Pinellas County
- Purse snatcher stabs woman, Good Samaritans, outside Seminole Publix
- 7 homes now condemned near massive Pasco sinkhole
- At least 27 cats found dead in Lutz home
- First-time mom dies days after giving birth
- Missing 6-year-old Lakeland boy with special needs found dead in pond
- Back-to-School: How to tell if your kids are feeling anxious about the new school year
- Beginning this morning, you can watch WFLA news on Great38 from 7-9 am