HIGHLANDS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Two people were arrested on Friday for helping a convicted sex offender in his unsuccessful attempt to avoid going back to jail.
Gary Lee Ebersole, 46, cut his ankle monitor and vanished on July 31 in Sebring.
Ebersole was tracked down and arrested Thursday morning, east of Lorida.
Special Victims Unit detectives learned his girlfriend, Cassandra Littrell, 54, had been talking to him on the phone after he left.
Littrell was stopped Wednesday near the area where Ebersole eventually was arrested.
The sheriff’s office said she had just returned from Okeechobee County, where she bought non-perishable food, a tent and a sleeping bag.
She denied talking to Ebersole and denied the items were for him, but the investigation proved otherwise.
Richard McGee, 56, hid Ebersole’s motorcycle and helped him get a taxi shortly after he cut off his ankle monitor.
The sheriff’s office said McGee knew Ebersole had violated probation and willfully withheld information when questioned.
Littrell and McGee are charged with failing to notify law enforcement of a sexual offender’s noncompliance, a third-degree felony.
Both were booked into the Highlands County Jail on Friday.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Grief counselors to help Polk Co. students cope with loss of classmate, 6, found in pond
- Purse snatcher stabs woman, Good Samaritans, outside Seminole Publix
- 7 homes now condemned near massive Pasco sinkhole
- At least 27 cats found dead in Lutz home
- First-time mom dies days after giving birth
- Missing 6-year-old Lakeland boy with special needs found dead in pond
- Back-to-School: How to tell if your kids are feeling anxious about the new school year
- Beginning this morning, you can watch WFLA news on Great38 from 7-9 am
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.