SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) – A Florida man has been sentenced to life in prison after confessing to killing and disemboweling his girlfriend because she called out her estranged husband’s name during sex.
The Palm Beach Post reports 25-year-old Fidel Lopez pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and sexual battery to avoid the death penalty. He was sentenced Thursday.
Police say Lopez called 911 in 2015 and officers arrived to find Lopez crying in the bathroom next to 31-year-old Maria Nemeth’s body. Lopez revealed that he became enraged with Nemeth when she called out her estranged husband’s name.
According to an arrest report, Lopez started breaking objects in the room and punching holes in the wall before attacking and disemboweled her.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Armed, dangerous suspect on the run after killing Longboat Key hotel security guard, clerk
- Hillsborough deputies looking for missing 1-year-old
- Another controversial video under FWC scrutiny, hammerhead shark shot, killed
- Family-run marijuana grow operation busted in Hillsborough County
- Death of Snooty the manatee being investigated by private, state, federal agencies
- Siesta Key star Alex Kompothecras says he’s disgusted by shark dragging video
- Better Call Behnken: Dealership refunds van after our investigation into odometer rollback fraud
- ‘Beauty bandits’ arrested for slew of thefts in Florida
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.