(WPTV) An 8-year-old girl is dead, months after she was injured from drinking boiling water through a straw on a dare.
Ki’ari Pope was pronounced dead on Monday morning.
Cousin Latoya Johnson says Ki’ari accepted a dare from another cousin in March to drink boiling water, like the kids they said they were watching on a social media video.
“She felt like she’s so fearless and can do everything, and she took a big gulp,” Latoya says.
Records from state social workers say the boiling water burned her throat and mouth.
She was hospitalized, and Latoya says Ki’ari lost her ability to talk, but kept her spunk, “She can still be like, you know how she feels and what was going on. She still smiled through whatever she went through.”
As recently as this Sunday, Ki’ari was slowly getting her voice back and seemed to be healthy otherwise.
“It was her cousin’s birthday party then she went home and went to sleep and they said she woke up and couldn’t breathe,” Latoya Johnson said.
The medical examiner hasn’t said yet whether Ki’ari’s injuries from the boiling water contributed to her death.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Armed, dangerous suspect on the run after killing Longboat Key hotel security guard, clerk
- Hillsborough deputies looking for missing 1-year-old
- Another controversial video under FWC scrutiny, hammerhead shark shot, killed
- Family-run marijuana grow operation busted in Hillsborough County
- Death of Snooty the manatee being investigated by private, state, federal agencies
- Siesta Key star Alex Kompothecras says he’s disgusted by shark dragging video
- Better Call Behnken: Dealership refunds van after our investigation into odometer rollback fraud
- ‘Beauty bandits’ arrested for slew of thefts in Florida
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.