HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is asking for help solving a homicide after a ShottSpotter alert led deputies to a man who was shot and killed early Thursday morning.
The ShotSpotter activation went off at 2:38 a.m. in the area of 1500 143rd Ave. E.
The ShotSpotter determined that 3 rounds had been fired in the area.
A 911 call was received about the shooting three minutes after the ShotSpotter alert went off.
When deputies arrived on scene, they found Michael Jamar Bethel, 28, injured from multiple gunshot wounds. He was found at 1603 143rd Ave. E and was transported to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Bethel was riding a bicycle when he was shot. They do not know if the shooting was random or if Bethel was targeted.
Detectives say he lives nearby.
Detectives are asking for anyone who has information that can help detectives to call the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- New photo emerges of possible abuse by one of the men in shark dragging video
- VIDEO: Manatee encounter on Siesta Key tests legal limits
- Victims disfigured by fake liposuction doctors could likely seek legal recourse
- The next Tampa Bay foodie trend: Edible cookie dough
- Target 8: Dog drama halts garbage collection in Lutz
- Help solve a mermaid mystery in the Gulf
- More than 63,000 signatures on petition calling for arrest of shark draggers
- You can now work for Disney from home