HOLIDAY, Florida (WFLA) – Pasco County Sheriff’s Office detectives are trying to figure out how a man who killed two people wound up in Holiday where he was arrested this morning for killing a third person, his 42-year-old roommate.
“He’s a killer. He has a history of killing people,” said Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco on Wednesday morning.
Nocco said that Warren Birkbeck, age 71, called 911 on Wednesday morning and said he stabbed and killed his roommate, Denise Cook, age 42.
Deputies responded to 3536 Trask Drive at 3:15 a.m. where Cook was found injured and then died from her stab wounds at the scene.
Birkbeck told deputies that he stabbed and killed his roommate.
Sheriff Nocco said that his detectives are trying to figure out how Birkbeck wound up in Florida.
Nocco said that Birkbeck was convicted of manslaughter in Massachusetts in 1963. In 1999, he was convicted of second-degree murder in New Hampshire. Birkbeck was released from prison in 2015 and is on probation until 2029.
Nocco did not release details about those crimes, but said that Birkbeck moved to Holiday two years ago and lived with his sister in a home next door to where this morning’s homicide happened.
Birkbeck’s sister died and so he moved into the home next to hers, where two women lived.
Nocco said this morning, Birkbeck went into Cook’s room and stabbed her multiple times.
He then told his other roommate, an 85-year-old woman, that he had stabbed Cook. Birkbeck then called 911.
Birkbeck was taken into custody when deputies arrived at the home.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Sarasota CPA receiving profanity-laced voicemails, death threats over shark dragging video
- 2 arrested for performing liposuction surgeries without a license in Tampa
- Polk Co. firefighters put out vehicle fire after three car crash
- Tampa police investigating after body found in Hillsborough River
- Final prisoner caught in Florida after peanut butter escape
- Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital doctor says cases of herpes in babies after kisses isn’t rare
- The next Tampa Bay foodie trend: Edible cookie dough
- Texas calf born looking like KISS rocker Gene Simmons
- More than 63,000 signatures on petition calling for arrest of shark draggers