LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — About 10,000 gallons of wastewater spilled at a lift station in Polk County Monday morning.
Polk County Utilities says the spill was caused by heavy rain and a power outage at Lift Station #100 on Shepherd Road in Lakeland.
Officials said it was related to Tropical Storm Emily.
All 10,000 gallons of domestic wastewater spilled from the station’s wet well into a nearby drainage ditch that feeds Poley Creek.
County officials say signs will be posted around the creek as a precaution and sampling will be done.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Tropical Storm Emily weakens to depression over central Florida
- Tractor trailer hanging over guardrail shuts down I-4 at I-275 in Tampa
- Judge calls for charge upgrade against man arrested for stalking at Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Tampa boy, 4, dies after gun he found discharged
- Police: Florida woman brought 10-year-old along on armed robbery
- Winter Haven police officer arrested for having sex with minor
- VIDEO: Valet punched outside Fort Lauderdale resort