LOS ANGELES (AP) —A van plowed into a group of people dining on a Los Angeles sidewalk, striking and injuring at least eight people.
A witness to the crash told The Associated Press the van jumped a curb and careened into a group of people eating outside The Fish Spot restaurant in the city’s Mid-Wilshire neighborhood.
Courtney Crump said several victims were pinned under the van and that one man had severe head injuries. He said witnesses held the driver until authorities arrived.
Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman Margaret Stewart said a 44-year-old man suffered critical injuries, three were seriously hurt and four others were taken to the hospital in fair condition.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. Police spokesman Josh Rubenstein said the crash appeared to be an accident.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Judge calls for charge upgrade against man arrested for stalking at Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Sandbags available to help Tampa homeowners prepare for heavy rain
- Police: Florida woman brought 10-year-old along on armed robbery
- Winter Haven police officer arrested for having sex with minor
- VIDEO: Mexican teen drinks fatal liquid meth at U.S. border
- VIDEO: Valet punched outside Fort Lauderdale resort
- Better Call Behnken: Popular Ybor City wedding venue abruptly shuts doors