SIESTA KEY, Fla. (WFLA) – Monday night’s premiere party for the new MTV’s series “Siesta Key,” has been canceled due to “unanticipated events,” the party’s organizers said Sunday.
The event would have taken place at the Cinebistro at the Westfield Siesta Key Mall.
The decision comes amid scrutiny of the cast’s connections to one or more of the men shown in a disturbing video of a shark being dragged behind a speeding boat. A Facebook page called “Boycott Siesta Key MTV,” brought this information to light and cast member Alex Kompothecras reportedly admitted he was friends with one of the suspects involved.
The show, which is created by the same producers of the hit reality series “Laguna Beach,” is centered around a group of college students who are home for the summer. It premieres Monday night at 10 pm.
Tickets to the premiere, which cost $32, will be refunded, according to the event’s organizers.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Tampa Bay area under Tropical Storm Watch as Tropical Depression 6 forms in Gulf of Mexico
- Sandbags available to help Tampa homeowners prepare for heavy rain
- Tampa boy, 4, dies after gun he found discharged
- Police: Florida woman brought 10-year-old along on armed robbery
- Winter Haven police officer arrested for having sex with minor
- VIDEO: Mexican teen drinks fatal liquid meth at U.S. border
- VIDEO: Valet punched outside Fort Lauderdale resort
- Better Call Behnken: Popular Ybor City wedding venue abruptly shuts doors