HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – SWAT team activity closed a major Hillsborough County road during the busy morning commute on Thursday morning.
Around 8:15 a.m., the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team responded to a man who was barricaded inside a van at East Fletcher Avenue and North Nebraska Avenue.
Nearby roads were closed and drivers were asked to avoid the area. Eagle 8 was over the scene when it happened.
Around 9 a.m., the man intentionally fell out of a window of the van and the SWAT team took him into custody.
He was identified Thursday afternoon as Eddie Carly Colon Soto, 39.
The incident started as a hit-and-run at the corner of Fletcher and Nebraska avenues. Deputies happened to be nearby and pulled Soto over in a white van. He refused to get out of the car and implied that he had a gun. Then, the HCSO SWAT team responded.
No injuries were reported, but Soto was taken to St. Joseph’s hospital after his arrest. He was treated and released Thursday afternoon and is expected to be booked into jail soon. The charges he faces are pending.
The incident prompted the closure of many surrounding roads.
All southbound lanes of Nebraska Avenue from Fletcher Avenue were temporarily shut down. Both northbound and southbound I-275 exits to Fletcher Avenue were closed. The westbound lanes of Fletcher Avenue were also shut down at Nebraska Avenue.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Brooksville woman was inside car when it fell into hole
- Ohio State Fair to reopen without rides after 1 killed, 7 injured when ride broke apart
- Young teens arrested for brutal attack on 19-year-old bringing family groceries
- FWC identifies men dragging shark behind boat in disturbing video
- Port Charlotte gator attack victim loses finger, toe, testicle
- Pinellas booze bandits busted after 8 On Your Side story leads to tips
- Disney Vacation Account program suddenly suspended
- FWC investigating disturbing video of shark being dragged behind boat