JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say a police officer fatally shot a bank robbery suspect who shot him in the face as the two exchanged fire after a car chase.
Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office Director Mike Bruno said during a news conference that the shooting happened Tuesday afternoon.
Bruno says officers had been patrolling Jacksonville’s Westside, searching for a man suspected of robbing two banks earlier this week. He says officers spotted the suspect getting into a car, and a woman driver speeding away.
Bruno says the suspect got out of the car after a 2-mile (3-kilometer) pursuit and exchanged fire with the officer. Bruno says the officer was awake and able to speak at the hospital.
Bruno didn’t release the names or races of the officer or suspect.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- FWC investigating disturbing video of shark being dragged behind boat
- Florida licenses and ID cards get new look, offer more fraud protection
- Man petitions to have statue of Snooty replace Confederate statue in Bradenton
- Man accused of using dog to lure girl, 7, at Polk Co. Publix store
- New Gulf Coast amusement park upsets women with weight restrictions
- Val Kilmer cancels Tampa Bay Comic Con appearance
- Marine’s son cries in new stepmoms’ arms while they exchange vows