CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – A suspected burglar was fatally struck by a vehicle as he fled the scene of a burglary he committed, the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office said.
At about 11:30 pm Saturday, a deputy on patrol saw an unconscious man lying on the eastbound lanes of Ulmerton Road near 62nd Street in Clearwater.
Deputies say the man, later identified as Donald Sands, 55, had clearly been struck by a vehicle. Before backup could arrive, Sands was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the vehicle, Chad McLaughlin, 36, returned to the scene to speak with deputies. His 2017 Cadillac CTS had sustained substantial damage to the passenger side, but he was not injured, according to the incident report. It’s unclear if McLaughlin will face any charges.
While investigating the collision, investigators received a 911 call from a 42-year-old man who said his car had been burglarized at a mobile home park nearby. The victim told investigators he caught a man matching Sands’ description inside his 2001 GMC Yukon. He said he began to chase the suspect on foot, but he disappeared near the entrance of the mobile home park, so the victim gave up, and went back to his residence to retrieve his car and call the cops.
Investigators said Sands was in possession of a red cup that was stolen from the victim’s car and later determined he committed the burglary.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing. No further details are available at this time.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Snooty, oldest known manatee in captivity, dies at 69 in heartbreaking accident
- Clearwater man, 60, arrested after 9 die in back of sweltering truck in Texas
- Largo woman’s apartment mistakenly cleaned out, precious memories now in trash
- Man throws large objects from 30-story building into traffic on busy Florida road
- Contest winner disqualified over pro-Trump Instagram post
- Family of missing Florida teen fisherman sues other boy’s family
- Florida’s 2017 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know