SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – A 36-year-old Bradenton woman is accused of stealing more than $82,000 from a 73-year-old family friend.
Sarasota County Sheriff’s deputies arrested Carrie Lee Stanfield and charged her with felony theft.
Detectives said the victim reported in February that she was missing thousands of dollars. She believed the money had been stolen by her deceased son’s girlfriend – Stanfield.
Due to medical issues, she had signed over power of attorney to Stanfield and asked that she attend civil proceedings about her son’s death and take care of medical costs on her behalf. The victim was in a rehab facility after she had to get her leg amputated.
Detectives found out that Stanfield made dozens ATM withdrawals and purchases from businesses including Amazon, Walmart, Sam’s Club, Wawa and Publix. She even bought a stove and dryer and paid her cellphone and insurance bills from the victim’s account, the sheriff’s office said.
Stanfield was arrested Wednesday and released after posting $20,000 bond.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- VIDEO: Man almost hit baby while livestreaming joyride from Clearwater Beach to Caladesi Island
- O.J. Simpson could move to St. Pete after release from prison
- Police: Video shows Florida teens watching, laughing as man drowns
- Nevada parole board grants O.J. Simpson early release from prison
- Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington dies at 41; No info yet on Tampa show
- Men accused of pelting Lakeland police lieutenant with eggs
- Mother of boy found dead on porch to remain in jail
- Florida’s 2017 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know
- Racist receipt? Waiter gets stiffed on tip, but that’s not worst part