(WFLA) – Theresa Valenza is tired of trying to convince her mortgage company that she has flood insurance.
Now she has been told she has to fork over money for an expensive flood insurance policy, chosen by SunTrust Bank, even though she has had a private policy for 16 years.
“This has been going on for months,” Valenza said. ‘I’m not sleeping. I’m a nervous wreck. I don’t know what else to do. I’m at my wits end. I’m a person fighting a big company.”
It’s not like Valenza isn’t insured. You could say she’s over insured. She has coverage through American Bankers Insurance Company that protects her from everything from floods to volcanoes.
Until recently, she wasn’t even required to have flood insurance.
The trouble began when federal flood maps were recently changed and now Valenza’s mobile home is in a flood zone.
The bank keeps sending letters, and she keeps sending in proof, even going to her local branch, but she says nothing helps.
So she called 8 On Your Side and we called SunTrust ourselves.
A spokesman promised to get to the bottom of this. News Channel 8 will stay on top of this story until there is a resolution.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- VIDEO: Man almost hit baby while livestreaming joyride from Clearwater Beach to Caladesi Island
- O.J. Simpson could move to St. Pete after release from prison
- Police: Video shows Florida teens watching, laughing as man drowns
- Nevada parole board grants O.J. Simpson early release from prison
- Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington dies at 41; No info yet on Tampa show
- Men accused of pelting Lakeland police lieutenant with eggs
- Mother of boy found dead on porch to remain in jail
- Florida’s 2017 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know
- Racist receipt? Waiter gets stiffed on tip, but that’s not worst part
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.