HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. (AP) – Sears will begin selling Kenmore appliances on Amazon.com, including smart appliances that can be synced with Amazon’s voice assistant, Alexa.
The announcement before the opening bell Thursday sent shares of Sears soaring 11 percent.
Sears, which also owns Kmart, says that its Kenmore Smart appliances will be fully integrated with Amazon’s Alexa, allowing users to fully control things like air conditioners through voice commands.
The agreement opens up a vast new marketplace for Sears and its appliances. Shares of Sears Holdings, based in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, just outside of Chicago, jumped more than $1, nearing $10 per share, in pre-market trading.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- WATCH: Body cam video shows moments after sinkhole swallowed 2 Pasco homes
- TODAY: OJ Simpson to ask for early release from prison
- Hillsborough County euthanizes wrong dog, records reflect no error
- Death sentence for Carlie Brucia’s killer vacated, 11-year-old murdered in Sarasota in 2004
- Mail delivered to wrong addresses causing headaches for Plant City residents
- Florida’s 2017 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know
- Pinellas Film Commissioner spends $390,000 on county credit card
- Officer: Partner shot bride-to-be seconds after loud sound
- Racist receipt? Waiter gets stiffed on tip, but that’s not worst part