MORGANTON, N.C. (AP) – The mother whose 3-year-old son was found dead on the porch of their North Carolina home likely will stay in jail until her trial.
Media outlets report a judge declined Wednesday to set a lower bond for 23-year-old Jamie Lyn Basinger.
Basinger was charged with involuntary manslaughter earlier this year in the death of her son.
Authorities say she acknowledged using drugs before Landyn Michael Melton was found early the morning of March 15.
Temperatures had been well below freezing, and rescue crews could not revive him. Morganton police said an autopsy on the boy found no signs of trauma, though the search warrants said he had a “reddish-brown substance on his face consistent with blood” and swelling near his lips.
Basinger’s trial that could begin as early as December.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- FHP: Venice man pulled out gun during road rage incident on I-75
- WATCH: Body cam video shows moments after sinkhole swallowed 2 Pasco homes
- TODAY: OJ Simpson to ask for early release from prison
- Death sentence for Carlie Brucia’s killer vacated, 11-year-old murdered in Sarasota in 2004
- Mail delivered to wrong addresses causing headaches for Plant City residents
- Florida’s 2017 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know
- Officer: Partner shot bride-to-be seconds after loud sound
- Racist receipt? Waiter gets stiffed on tip, but that’s not worst part