AVON PARK, Fla. (WFLA) – A 16-year-old boy was killed and another 16-year-old was shot in the face in Avon Park on Wednesday night.
Investigators are searching for the gunman. They have not said if the two boys were also armed.
Highlands County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a call at 9:41 p.m. about two people who had been shot at The Palms at Lake Tulance, which is off Hal McRae Boulevard.
When first responders arrived, they found Ivan Joel Garcia and Keshawn Bryant Souvenir on the ground near a dumpster and an overturned couch. Both had been shot multiple times.
Souvenir died at the hospital. Garcia, who was shot in the face in addition to his other wounds, was airlifted to a trauma center in Lakeland. He was in critical condition as of Thursday morning.
Neither boy lived in the complex, but were there visiting with friends at the time of the shooting, detectives said.
Hardee County authorities later reported that a 29-year-old Avon Park man came to Florida Hospital-Wauchula with a gunshot wound to the leg. Detectives believe his injury is related to this incident.
Wednesday was a violent night in the Tampa Bay area. Two other teens were shot in Tampa. Both survived.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone who has information is asked to call detectives at 863-402-7250 or email email@example.com. You can also leave an anonymous tip and be eligible for a cash reward of up to $3,000 by calling Heartland Crime Stoppers at 1-800-226-TIPS or online at http://www.heartlandcrimestoppers.com.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- FHP: Venice man pulled out gun during road rage incident on I-75
- WATCH: Body cam video shows moments after sinkhole swallowed 2 Pasco homes
- TODAY: OJ Simpson to ask for early release from prison
- Death sentence for Carlie Brucia’s killer vacated, 11-year-old murdered in Sarasota in 2004
- Mail delivered to wrong addresses causing headaches for Plant City residents
- Florida’s 2017 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday: What to Know
- Racist receipt? Waiter gets stiffed on tip, but that’s not worst part