LAND O’ LAKES, Fla. (WFLA) — Pasco County officials on Tuesday suggested that residents who live near a huge sinkhole drink bottled water until water near the area is fully tested.
Today, Pasco County officials are expecting to get the first round of water test results after a massive sinkhole opened up near Lake Padgett in Land O’ Lakes early Friday morning.
The sinkhole swallowed two homes, a boat, part of a road and a septic tank.
The Florida Department of Health (FDOH) Pasco is encouraging residents to use bottled water, especially residents within 500 feet of the sinkhole, until their drinking water is fully tested. If you see your water become clouded or change in smell, or taste you should also take precautions by using bottled water.
County administrators tested 20 homes for E. coli out of an abundance of caution. They don’t expect to find anything unusual in the water.
“There is no evidence at this point that any wells are contaminated,” said a county spokesperson.
The testing is being conducted at the Pasco County Environmental Lab in New Port Richey.
The test results are expected by 3 p.m. today.
FDOH will be conducting additional tap water testing for 20 wells in the area of the sinkhole to test for contaminates such as metals, nitrates and arsenic.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the water depth of the sinkhole has decreased five feet since Friday and had dropped another 4-7 inches in the last 24 hours. Authorities say as of 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 18, 2017 there has been no significant expansion of the sinkhole since it stopped growing around 5 p.m. Friday, July 14.
Cleanup is not expected to begin until later this week.
Two families live in the two homes that were destroyed by the sinkhole. Eleven other homes have been determined to be unsafe. Residents are not allowed in those homes.
A fund has been created to help victims of the sinkhole. Learn more here.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- St. Pete mother arrested for allowing teens to drink at house party
- Local woman gets missing wedding rings back from Kay Jewelers
- Officials: Florida boy, 10, had fentanyl in system when he collapsed, died
- Ruskin drive-in movie theater in jeopardy due to other business’ lights
- Questions remain after police officer shoots, kills bride-to-be
- NFL player seeks help finding kidnapped pit bull being held for $10,000 ransom
- Police release last text from girl electrocuted in bathtub
- 12.5 foot great white shark named ‘Hilton’ lurking off NC coast
- Florida toddler dies in hot car parked outside family’s home
- Singer, Tampa native Aaron Carter, girlfriend arrested in Georgia