PORT JEFFERSON, N.Y. (AP) – A dog that saw a baby deer in danger of drowning in New York jumped in and dragged it to shore.
The daring rescue in Long Island Sound was caught on video by his owner Mark Freeley.
He tells WCBS-TV that he was taking the English golden retriever named Storm on a walk Sunday morning when Storm “just plunged into the water and started swimming out to the fawn, grabbed it by the neck, and started swimming to shore.”
Video shows Storm pushing the deer to shore, lying next to the fawn and nudging it with his nose.
Freeley says animal rescuers soon arrived and the deer ran back into the water.
They used a rope to pull the fawn back in.
The fawn is recovering at an animal rescue center.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- St. Pete mother arrested for allowing teens to drink at house party
- Local woman gets missing wedding rings back from Kay Jewelers
- Officials: Florida boy, 10, had fentanyl in system when he collapsed, died
- Ruskin drive-in movie theater in jeopardy due to other business’ lights
- Questions remain after police officer shoots, kills bride-to-be
- NFL player seeks help finding kidnapped pit bull being held for $10,000 ransom
- Police release last text from girl electrocuted in bathtub
- 12.5 foot great white shark named ‘Hilton’ lurking off NC coast
- Florida toddler dies in hot car parked outside family’s home
- Singer, Tampa native Aaron Carter, girlfriend arrested in Georgia