(WTNH) — Monday, July 17th is World Emoji Day, so be sure to break out those creative text messages!
World Emoji Day was created three years ago by the founder of “Emojipedia.” The website keeps track of the over two thousand emoji icons.
Marking the holiday is easy: just pick out your favorite emojis and send them to your friends and family.
Users can also use the hashtag #worldemojiday to share on social media.
Emojis were first invented in Japan between 1998 and 1999, but they spilled over into the U.S. after the first iPhone was released.
WHAT’S TRENDING ONLINE NOW –
- Queso may be coming to Chipotle Mexican food chain
- Celebrate National French Fry Day with FREE fries in Tampa
- Hospital welcomes hurricane babies born 9 months after Matthew
- Fiona the hippo takes first family photo with both mom and dad
- Fisherman catches 600 pound marlin off Hawaii
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.