HIGHLANDS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — The Highlands County Sheriff’s Office took to Facebook this week asking residents to be careful if they’re buying a puppy online.
According to deputies, there have been reports of a scam asking animal lovers in the Tampa Bay area to wire $150 to Cameroon.
The sheriff’s office says victims of the scam would end up losing their money and not getting a pet.
Deputies are asking residents to avoid the risk of being scammed by looking into dogs at the local Animal Services and Humane Society.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Cleanup from massive Land O’ Lakes sinkhole expected to take weeks
- Baby of pregnant mother struck by lightning in Fort Myers dies
- Inmate confesses to killing 4 PA men, says where bodies are
- Tampa’s Alfred Angelo Bridal store closes doors, brides rush to meet 8 p.m. pickup deadline
- $390 million in unclaimed money from Tampa Bay area, is some of it yours?
- Typo in Wendy’s restaurant sign in Florida is divine comedy
- Slimy highway: Truck carrying 7,500 pounds of live eels overturns
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.