HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office has released a video of a dramatic rescue of a 71-year-old Palm River woman with medical issues.
Deputies say they quickly reacted when Lillian Morales wandered away from her home on Tuesday as stormy weather moved in.
Multiple units, including the HCSO K9 section, converged on Fish Lake Road to search for Morales as her family became increasingly worried about her.
A helicopter was also dispatched to aid in the search and was able to locate Morales using a forward looking infrared camera (FLIR), which is used to sense infrared radiation. The camera detected a glowing human heat source in a canal near Morales’ residence.
Sheriff’s pilot Jeff Gray and tactical flight officer Manny Feller radioed rescuers to the source’s location and Deputies Nick Elliott and Brett Seigler found Morales, sitting in knee-deep in water, cold, confused and covered with insect bites, according to the sheriff’s office.
She was carried to safety and reunited with her family. No further details regarding her condition have been released at this time.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Deputies: Teen driver on cell phone crashes into Town N’ Country home
- $390 million in unclaimed money from Tampa Bay area, is some of it yours?
- Human remains found in search for 4 missing men, 1 victim identified
- Chick-fil-A protesters confront fishermen at St. Pete park, throw fish back in water
- Hernando boys 9, 10, arrested for threatening deputies, mom says arrests justified
- Pinellas Park Chick-fil-A protest angers parents, scares kids
- 14-year-old girl dies in bathtub after being electrocuted by cellphone
- SCARY! Polk couple encounters 9-foot-long rattlesnake while bird watching