PALM HARBOR, Fla. (WFLA) – Detectives say a Palm Harbor man bought two cars, a cruise, paid off his credit cards and remodeled his home with $417,000 he stole from an elderly man.
Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Peter Anthony Maselli, 45, of Palm Harbor, on a charge of exploitation of an elderly person.
Detectives say they were tipped off to the theft by a local bank whose staff became suspicious about a large number of deposits and transfers made from the elderly man’s account.
Maselli had Power of Attorney over the man, who was living in the memory care unit of an assisted living facility in New York.
Detectives say Maselli opened multiple accounts and deposited high-dollar-amount checks from liquidated assets of the 82-year-old victim.
Maselli stole $417,437.59 from the victim during a 6-month period from July of 2014 to January of 2015, according to investigators.
Maselli’s Power of Attorney was revoked and a legal guardian was appointed for the elderly victim.
Detectives are continuing to investigate the thefts and ask anyone with information to contact Detective S. Bingham at the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office at (727) 582-6786.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 16-year-old boy home alone fights off intruder in Polk Co.
- 5 pit bulls who attacked in St. Pete could be euthanized
- Largo teen dies after cliff diving into Ocala rock quarry
- Pinellas Park Chick-fil-A protest angers parents, scares kids
- 14-year-old girl dies in bathtub after being electrocuted by cellphone
- Star of ‘The Little Couple’ joins St. Pete’s All Children’s Hospital as medical director
- Spring Hill brothers, 9 and 10, arrested for threatening deputies
- Florida beachgoers form 80-person human chain to rescue family in water
- SCARY! Polk couple encounters 9-foot-long rattlesnake while bird watching