DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say a woman has been arrested after her dog died in a hot car while she received treatment in a hospital.
The Orlando Sentinel reports 65-year-old Gloria J. Daniels was arrested Sunday and charged with animal cruelty.
Daniels was living in the car with a 7-year-old pug called Apollo.
Police say she left Apollo in the car while she sought medical treatment at the hospital.
A hospital security guard initially found that the dog had water and the windows were cracked.
Daytona Beach police said in a report that the temperature inside the car was more than 115 degrees.
Daniels later told police she was in the hospital for an hour, but an animal control officer said it was about three hours.
It’s unclear if Daniels has a lawyer.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Florida beachgoers form human chain to rescue family in water
- Spring Hill brothers, 9 and 10, arrested for threatening deputies
- Largo ‘piano man’ accused of selling 30 pianos, pocketing customers’ money
- At least 16 killed in military plane crash in Mississippi
- SCARY! Polk couple encounters 9-foot-long rattlesnake while bird watching
- Children of fourth worker who died following TECO power plant accident speak out
- Thousands of old photos of Tampa released to public