OCALA, Fla. (WESH/WFLA) — A 17-year-old died after he dove from a cliff Monday into a lime rock mining quarry in Ocala, deputies said.
Trey Austin Dagwan Cordoza, of Largo, was found unresponsive in the quarry on Gainesville Road Monday afternoon and passed away Tuesday morning, the Marion County Sheriff’s Office said.
The teenager was found unresponsive in the quarry just hours after 13 people were arrested in a separate part of the quarry. Twelve of the people arrested were adults while the other one was a juvenile.
Cardoza is the second person to die after trespassing on private property and swimming in a Marion County lime rock quarry this summer, deputies said. An 18-year old Tampa man drowned on May 27 in a lime rock quarry at the Hardrock Cycle Park in Ocala.
Deputies said a similar incident happened June 25 when three juveniles were arrested for trespassing on private property in the same area. They told deputies they were swimming in the quarry and taking pictures, knowing they were trespassing on private property. No one was injured during either of these incidents.
Deputies said the trespassers had seen video of people cliff diving into Ocala quarries on social media and wanted to try it themselves.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Largo teen dies after cliff diving into Ocala rock quarry
- Pinellas Park Chick-fil-A protest angers parents, scares kids
- 14-year-old girl dies in bathtub after being electrocuted by cellphone
- Star of ‘The Little Couple’ joins St. Pete’s All Children’s Hospital as medical director
- Spring Hill brothers, 9 and 10, arrested for threatening deputies
- Florida beachgoers form 80-person human chain to rescue family in water
- SCARY! Polk couple encounters 9-foot-long rattlesnake while bird watching
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.