HIGHLANDS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A person was killed in Highlands County during an accident involving a pickup truck and an Amtrak train Tuesday afternoon.
According to officials, the accident occurred before 3:18 p.m. on US 98 South and Cowhouse Road in Lorida.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the pickup truck was traveling eastbound, approaching the railroad crossing at the intersection of Cowhouse Road.
The railroad crossing arms were in the down position.
The driver of the pickup attempted to cross the train tracks for unknown reasons, and the front of the truck struck the left side of the train.
The driver was the only person in the truck and was declared dead at the scene of the accident.
The driver was identified as Efrem Gibson, 54, of Avon Park.
Four people, including a crew member of the train, were injured, but only one passenger was taken to a hospital.
There were 148 passengers and 10 crew members on the train, which was traveling from Miami to New York with several stops in between.
The crash remains under investigation.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Storms cause damage, flooding in Tampa Bay area Monday evening
- Star of ‘The Little Couple’ joins St. Pete’s All Children’s Hospital as medical director
- Spring Hill brothers, 9 and 10, arrested for threatening deputies
- At least 16 killed in military plane crash in Mississippi
- Lakeland rescue dog with bucket list passes away
- Florida beachgoers form 80-person human chain to rescue family in water
- PHOTO: Huge rattlesnake spotted near Bartow
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.