An active-duty soldier assigned to Schofield Barracks will appear in federal court Monday on terrorism charges.
Ikaika Kang, 34, was arrested by an FBI SWAT team on July 8.
The Royal Kunia resident is accused of providing material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
“Kang has been under investigation by the U.S. Army and the FBI for over a year. FBI assets and Army investigative resources were continuously deployed to ensure the public’s safety during the course of this investigation and Kang’s eventual arrest,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Paul D. Delacourt. “No document from the military made it to ISIS.”
A criminal complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii alleges that Kang swore allegiance to ISIS, attempted to provide military documents to ISIS, and attempted to provide training to the terrorist organization.
Authorities say Kang is from Hawaii and a sergeant first class assigned to the 25th Infantry Division.
“He was trained as an air traffic controller and trained in combative,” said Delacourt.
Currently, the FBI believes that Kang was a lone actor and that he has not associated with others who present a threat to Hawaii.
Note that a criminal complaint is only a charge and not evidence of guilt. All defendants are presumed innocent until proven otherwise in federal court.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Spring Hill brothers, 9 and 10, arrested for threatening deputies
- Mystery: Man found near Pasco intersection dies from injuries
- Thousands of old photos of Tampa released to public
- Monkey business: Ocala man says primates swarm his property
- Search underway for Pasco man accused of hitting woman with baseball bat
- PHOTO: Huge rattlesnake spotted near Bartow
- Alligator attack caught on camera
- Unborn baby and woman killed, several injured in shooting at gender reveal party
WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.