FROSTPROOF, Fla. (WFLA) – Polk County Sheriff’s Office detectives are searching for the person who sped off from the scene after striking a pedestrian and leaving him for dead in Frostproof.
Dispatchers got a 911 call around 12:30 a.m. Friday from someone who saw a man in the middle of U.S. Highway 27 just north of Avon Park Cut Off Road.
“There’s a body, a male, a white male body on the left lane heading south on 27,” the caller said.
At first, the caller seemed confused by what he saw.
“I drove by too fast and I thought it was like a large animal,” the unidentified caller said.
When emergency crews got to the scene, they found 33-year-old Jerry Dean Walker dead.
Walker was found wearing only basketball shorts. He didn’t have any other clothing or shoes on.
Deputies say he had beer cans with him. They believe impairment was involved on his part, and say it appears he was walking in the roadway when he was hit.
Investigators are looking for a car. The make, model or color isn’t known.
“Whoever hit him, if they had only stopped, they wouldn’t have been at fault quite frankly because he was in the road,” sheriff’s spokeswoman Carrie Hortsman said. “But, because they fled the scene, now they’re facing felony charges.”
Anyone who was in the area around midnight or has any information about the crash is asked to call the sheriff’s office at (863) 298-6200.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- 12-year-old, teenager shot by stepfather in Bradenton
- Cops: Tampa woman tries to burn deputy alive
- United takes 2-year-old’s seat away, forcing him onto mother’s lap for three-hour flight
- Woman with injured dogs, former manager speak out against Lucky Dog Daycare in Tampa
- QVC parent buying Home Shopping Network in stock deal
- Lindsay Lohan wants Americans to ‘stop bullying’ Pres. Trump
- New photo could be clue to Amelia Earhart mystery